So, at what point did we decide we were adults and that fun was no longer a priority? When did you stop playing? It’s time to start making time for play as an adult.
3 Benefits of Play as an Adult
There are three life-changing superpowers that find their way to you through FUN. As if you needed more of an excuse to enjoy yourself…
Being Present and Stress Free
Don’t roll your eyes at this – it’s a damn superpower to be locked into the present moment. This helps you stay focused and way less anxious (no future trippin’).
This helps you to feel less stressed and anxious, calling a new sense of calm into your life. When you play, you also release happy hormones that will calm your nervous system and feel delicious.
Contagious Joy and Love
As a fun person, people automatically have more fun around you. You’re like the walking embodiment of joy that people can’t help but be magnetized to and uplifted by.
Double benefits? You also better your relationships when you’re more playful. According to Kay Brauer, MSc, professor of psychology, “Playful behaviors contribute to strengthening the social bond and increasing intimacy and mutual trust.”
Playfulness creates more lightheartedness and vulnerability between people.
Better Your Brain
Did you know that playful adults have greater brain function? Here’s how:
- Improve your brain function and memory, especially when you make time for challenging games, like chess and puzzles.
- Be more productive! Did you know companies like Google have play areas for employees? It’s because it boats team work and productivity!
- Play increases creativity and problem solving. This helps you be more innovative in all parts of life.
So, it should really be “Play Hard and Work Easier,” right?
Stop with the complicated manifesting to-do lists and detailed spiritual practices that feel more like chores. Focus instead on fun!
Being in the energy of more joy and play, you’re in the vibration of abundance. You’ll start to receive more easily in every part of your life.
It’s so fun!
I love this quote by Gabby Bernstein:
“I measure my success by how much fun I’m having.”
If fun was your measurement of success, how are you doing?
45 Adult Play Ideas
How can you have fun as an adult? It doesn’t need to be hard or complicated, just something you prioritize on a regular basis.
I suggest scheduling some of these ideas into your calendar so you make time to enjoy them. For more fun, include someone else in your playfulness. Here are some ideas for you:
- Dance and sing to your favorite music
- Make a list of things you’re grateful for
- Do a puzzle or word search
- Try coloring or doodling
- Play a board game or cards with friends
- Skip and frolick around
- Find shapes in the clouds
- Roll homemade ice cream
- Watch funny videos – comedians, animals, etc.
- Make art with nature, like flowers and stones
- Create something new in the kitchen
- Try laughter yoga
- Throw around a frisbee or toss a ball
- Have a water balloon fight
- Get crafty with something you loved as a kid
- Make smores
- Read a fiction or fantasy novel
- Roll or sled down a hill
- Play dressup in your wardrobe
- Get on a rollercoster or ride
- Build a fort and watch a movie
- Play hopscotch or jump rope
- Go to a museum and explore with a chil’d mind
- Create a scavengar hunt for your friends
- Play minute-to-win-it games
- Do a Zoom Triva Night
- Play computer or video games
- Make an obstacle course in your home or yard
- Go rollerblading or ice skating
- Have a picnic
- Practice creative writing prompts
- Go act like a kid on the playground
- Perform a random act of kindness
- Find a science experiment to try at home
- Have an indoor nerf gun battle
- Go camping – the backyard works
- Explore your local zoo
- Get your hands in soil with gradening
- Watch a cartoon
- Gaze at the stars and look for shapes
- Play with your pets or volunteer at a shelter
- Eat a popsicle or lollypop
- Create something with playdoh
- Learn how to play an instrument
- Create giant bubbles
What do you think? Are you ready to have some fun?
It’s time to stop taking yourself so seriously and enjoy all the benefits of play. You can be an adult and enjoy the playfulness of a child.
Let me know in the comments – what are you going to add to your schedule this week?