Okay, let’s face it – bloating is a problem! Whether you have an important date to the beach or simply don’t want to feel miserable all day, relief cannot come fast enough. There are a number of different tricks to reduce bloating, and I have tried them all. Today, I am sharing the recipe that I have been perfecting for years to get the best anti-bloating tonic that works quick! I love it so much that I actually drink it every day to aid in digestion.
Why are you bloated? There can be a number of reasons why the stomach bloats, other than chronic conditions, such as irritable bowels syndrome. A bloated stomach may be a sign that you’ve consumed too much salt or simple carbs, drank too much carbonation, you ate too much or too quickly, or your body is not reacting well to dairy. Other causes may be constipation or your monthly period.
The good news? This tonic is made to help relieve the bloating regardless of how it got there. Back when I was a wedding planner, I would hand this around to my bride and bridesmaids to relieve bloating after a morning of mimosas. This has also worked wonders in helping me to wear crop tops on major period days.
Please note, I am no where near a doctor. If you have a chronic condition, check with a doctor before seeing if this tonic is okay for your diet.
Benefits of each ingredient
I have been slowly perfecting this recipe over the years to include the ingredients that truly aid in digestion and have anti-bloating elements. That being said, even using just one or two of these ingredients will be helpful, so feel free to make a different version of this recipe to fit what you have at home.
Lemon – aids in digestion, helps to naturally flush or detox the body, vitamin C boost, great for the skin, and has been evidence that lemon water first thing in the morning helps with weight loss.
Ginger – powerful anti-inflammatory, relieves sore muscles, can help chronic indigestion, aids against nausea and bloating (and morning sickness).
Turmeric – supports joint and muscle health, is also an anti-inflammatory, improves liver function, aids digestion, and can be a natural pain reliever.
Apple Cider Vinegar – aids in weight loss by reducing appetite, aids in digestion, reduces bloating, and increases the efficiency of insulin to break down sugar.
Honey* – rich in antioxidants, has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, filled with phytonutrients which are anti-inflammatory, and aids in digestion.
*Please note: This honey principles are largely related to raw and high-quality honey, not highly processed versions.
How to make the tonic
Here is a quick video to walk you through my process:
I only make this about once a week and store it in the fridge. It takes very little time and helps me to keep my stomach in check each day. Well worth it!
Anti-Bloating Tonic Miracle
- 1 lemon (or 1/4 cup lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2″-1″ fresh ginger, sliced
- 1″ fresh turmeric, sliced (or 1-2 ts powdered turmeric)
- 1-2 tbs honey (or vegan substitute)
- Optional: dash of cayenne pepper
- Fill a medium-sized sauce pan with about four cups of water. Remove the peels from the lemon and slice the fresh ginger and turmeric. Add the lemon peels, ginger, and turmeric (powdered or fresh) to the pot of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, juice the lemon into a pitcher or mixing bowl, removing any seeds. Add the apple cider vinegar, honey, and optional cayenne pepper.
- Once the water has simmered, allow it to cool down. Strain the mixture into the pitcher with the other ingredients and stir thoroughly, allowing the honey to melt completely. Once fully cooled down, store in the fridge in a glass jar, bottles, or pitcher.
- Drink a teacup amount each morning. Feel free to water it down a little bit each morning, as this can be a strong tonic.
MAJOR WARNING: TURMERIC STAINS EVERYTHING! Be aware that powdered and fresh turmeric can stain your cutting boards, counter top, plastic containers, etc. Therefore, be extra careful when handling the mixture. I always pour it over the sink to reduce the possibility of staining everything.
Cheers to less bloating and more crop tops!
Questions? Please comment below and I would love to help.