“My head says gym, but my heart says tacos.”
While in Colorado, my family decided to have a night in at our Airbnb. Without question, it was my favorite night of the trip. We gathered around the kitchen, each person chopping, mixing, and cultivating a colorful meal of tacos, grilled veggies, guacamole, and grilled mangoes.
After the meal, we worked together to clear the table, wash dishes, and prep for game night. We play some aggressive card games in my family and spent the night on an intense few rounds of Progressive Rummy.
While I absolutely adore family nights, it can be tough when I eat differently than everyone else. It has been a struggle for me to find flexibility within family meals, but I am getting better at suggesting meals that the family will enjoy that I can find creative substitutes for.
Taco night is perfect for meat lovers and vegans alike! We use the same toppings, same sides, same tortillas, just a different filling.
I have a number of different vegan fillings that I like to enjoy in tacos, such as “nut meat”, beans, lentils, sweet potato, etc. I had a craving for mushrooms on taco night, so I decided to use them as my base.
Vegan Mushroom Tacos
Flavorful diced mushrooms create a savory vegan taco.
- 2 cup diced mushrooms (any variety)
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
- 1/4 cup diced serrano pepper or jalapeno
- 1 clove of garlic, minced (or substitute with powder)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 tortillas
- Optional toppings: lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, salsa, avocado, etc.
- Heat the oil on a large skillet at med-high heat. Add garlic, onions, and all peppers. Cook until onions are translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and spices, continue to cook until the mushrooms begin to brown around the edges. Add the lime juice and continue to cook for another minute.
- Turn off heat. Add the mushroom filling to tortillas and top with whatever deliciousness you choose.
I made this recipe about 1/3 of the size listed above, because it was just for me. I got to make my own vegan tacos while the family had theirs. It was perfect!
By the way, we grilled mangoes and they were AMAZING!!! DO IT!!!
What’s your favorite style of taco?